Aquaponics = Aquaculture (fish farming) + Hydroponics (cultivating plants in solution)
In our opinion the ultimate goal of a modern urban farmer is the establishment and operation of a productive aquaponic system. If it’s planned well and constructed right an aquaponic system can allow a household to be completely independent of the local food system.
If we needed to, our system could sustain us indefinitely by allowing our family to eat fish twice a week and have greens at every meal.
Aquaponic systems can be constructed in modular units which can be chained together so that the total production capacity of the system can be expanded or reduced as necessary. This flexibility allows the system to be configured to take advantage of available space without having to commit your entire property to production of food.
Advantages of Aquaponics
- Provides fruit and vegetables.
- Provides fish.
- Is compact and efficient.
- Requires very little daily maintenance. 1 hour a week.
- Minimal cost for feed/pellets to operate.
- Free of fertilizer or pesticides.
- Provides a renewable resource that can be shared or traded.